Controlling Your Asthma with Hospital Doctors

The National Asthma Campaign manifesto states that people with asthma have the right to expect to be seen by a specialist whenever necessary. For adults, the specialist is usually a consultant in respiratory medicine.

Consultants work in teams, with senior registrars, registrars and senior house officers. Although any of these doctors may see you in the outpatients clinic, they work under the authority of the consultant.

Children should be seen by a consultant pediatrician with a special interest and expertise in asthma treatment.

If you and your doctor are together controlling your asthma, then referral to a specialist may not be necessary. If you feel it is necessary, you can ask your doctor to refer you, but you have no legal right to insist on this. Talk to your doctor about any worries that you might have.

Tags: , , ,

Comments Off on Controlling Your Asthma with Hospital Doctors

Posted in Asthma, Treatment

DISCAIMER: The content and information pertaining to asthma found on is for personal reference only. The contents of this site are not written by a licensed medical practitioner, therefore, should not be viewed as professional medical advice. Any information, personal opinions or experiences shared on are strictly for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitue for services or diagnosis from a medical professional. If you suspect you may have asthma or any other medical condition, please seek medical assistance immediately.
A note from