One of the best ways of regaining control of your health is to ensure that your asthma treatment is the best that is available. So how do you achieve this?
The Asthma Manifesto, published by the National Asthma Campaign in the UK, states that people with asthma have the right to:
- Select the best inhaler device for them.
- Monitor their own condition using a peak flow meter.
- Control their asthma by following an agreed self-management plan.
Asthma specialists meet regularly at conferences where they share their findings and set common standards for the best treatment of patients. These meetings have resulted in a number of recent changes in the way asthma is managed.
There is a new emphasis on long-term preventive treatments, with the reliever treatments taking secondary importance.
The complete control of asthma with preventive treatments means that the relievers may hardly need to be used at all.
The asthma manifesto
This states that if you have asthma you have certain rights, including the following:
- You have the right to select the best inhaler device for you.
- You have the right to monitor your own condition, using a peak flow meter.
- You have the right to control your asthma by following an agreed management plan.